BEST TIME FOR MAKING BABIES
“The Time Oh Baby!” The best time of the month and day for getting pregnant.
Infertility prevalence in society is on the rise. I see so many couples in my clinic who are not
aware what is the best time of the month to increase the chances of getting pregnant. Let us
get some facts right.
Females cannot get pregnant anytime of the month. For females, the eggs or ova are not available throughout the month for getting pregnant, unlike males where sperms are produced throughout the month. The fertile window or period of women is the day an egg is released from the ovary (ovulation) and the five days beforehand. Having sex during this time gives you the best chance of getting pregnant. Eggs can only be fertilized for one day after its release from the ovary. Sperms can live for round 5 days in female tract.
How to calculate fertile period of a female:
1. Use online Ovulation calculator (based on date of menstrual cycle)
2. Changes in vaginal mucous: A few days before ovulation, you may notice your vaginal mucus becomes clear and slippery, and feels a bit like egg white.
This is a sign that ovulation is about to happen. It’s the best time to have sex, as sperm travel more easily in this kind of mucus.
Get the time right!
• The highest chances of getting pregnant are three days before and the day of ovulation.
• The sperms can survive for 5 days in the female genital tract. They are can wait for the egg to drop in mate with it. So during the fertile window, it is okay to have sex alternate days. Sometimes the pressure of having sex by calendar and clock can turn off men and they can experience inability to have erections! Sometimes I prescribe medicines for having erections, like Sildenafil(Viagra) to such men! These medicines do not harm the sperm or the egg as believed by some.
• Some people think that saving up sperms by not having sex or masturbation before the fertile period can produce better sperms. This is a myth! It takes 64 days to make, mature and ejaculate a sperm. After production in testis, they are stored in a reservoir called epididydimis. During ejaculation, only a part of it are expelled, mainly the ones which are old. If you observe abstinence for long periods before fertile window and then ejaculate during the fertile period, then you are likely to expel the older, less healthy sperms rather than newer young and healthy ones!!
• Sperms and hormone levels follow a body clock: best chances are between 6 AM to 9 AM, when hormones are at their peak.
So if you are trying to conceive right now, apart from the calendar, follow a healthy life style :eat healthy, exercise and give up on smoking, alcohol or recreational drugs.
© Copyright 2018 Dr.Aman Gupta's Urology Services